As staycations have become the norm, we got a chance to see more of Ontario this summer. Prince Edward County was high on our list as we’ve heard so many great things about it, so we ventured East of Toronto about 2 hours and 15 mins to the Picton and Wellington, ON area. If you’re driving from further away than Toronto, see my post about taking long road trips with kids here. Having small kids, we researched things to do with them that weren’t just wine tours (although you can do that as well). Here are 10 things you can do with kids in Prince Edward County
1. The Vic Drive-In Restaurant – I love how drive ins are becoming popular like they were in the 1950’s and 1960’s. My Mom and her sister worked at A&W on roller skates as kids, when it was still a drive in restaurant. The Vic Drive-In is a nod to this concept, with an eat in dining space as well that’s super cute. They serve burgers, fries, shakes and breakfast
2. Mustang Drive-In While we’re on the topic of drive ins, I must mention the Mustang Drive In. We didn’t get a chance to go because we didn’t have a lot of time in PEC (next time for sure). I wanted to go as they were playing Labyrinth that weekend, one of my favourite movies as a child and David Bowie – need I say more? Take your mini van, SUV or wagon, pop the trunk, fill it with blankets and pillows and chill out with the little ones
3. The Shed If you’re kids love animals as much as mine, they will love visiting the Alpaca farm called Shed. They have a lovely store there and you’re free to see the alpacas without charge. Please note, this is not a petting zoo
4. Hops and Heifers another animal friendly stop but this time with water buffalo! You can take safari trips to see them (book in advance) and there is a little shop as well that sells buffalo mozzarella, one of my favs. Check out their Facebook page for lots of videos and updates
5. Picnic if you’re looking to have a picnic (in my opinion, one of the best ways to feed small children is free range); then head to Picnic to grab some really nice, healthy take out food from buddha bowls to sandwiches, cappuccino and cakes. The menu is lovely
6. Parsons Brewing Co. if you’re looking for a craft beer (like my husband) and some gastro pub food, check out Parson’s Brewing Co. We actually ate here twice as there is a huge kid friendly yard with a play structure and outdoor games, live music, etc. Did I mention the food is also really really good?
7. Wellington Farmers Market and Wellington Park check out the farmers market every Saturday from mid May to mid October. Pick up a snack and some fresh produce and head to Wellington Park located on main street Wellington, it’s quite breathtaking with a view of Lake Ontario and access to the water via stairs. Instead of a sandy entrance the floor of the lake are actually large rock slabs, albeit slippery are a nice change and avoid a sandy mess. There is also a large playground here and picnic tables. My water babies opted for a swim
8. Old Greenhouse Ice Cream Shop when you’re done at the park, head to grab an ice cream at the Old Greenhouse Ice Cream Shop also located on the main street in Wellington
9. Sandbanks Winery you can definitely bring your little ones while going for a wine tasting in Prince Edward County. Sandbanks Winery offers popcorn and juice boxes for the little ones. Trail Estates Winery has a large area with picnic tables, sun shades and wildflowers. Our kids loved exploring.
Norman Hardie is great for little ones who love pizza, with incredible wood fired pizzas developed by chefs from Pizzeria Libretto, Terroni, and Ortolan. Everyone wins! They also have beautiful sunflowers growing around the parking lot.
10. Sandbanks Provincial Park known for it’s picturesque sand dunes and beach it is also the worlds largest fresh water sand bar and sand dune system. Lines are long during summer but lining up early (7-8 am) will usually get you in. It’s also nice to go in the morning before it gets too hot. There is take away food in the national park or you can pack your own. We walked to the end of the beach to avoid the crowds as it can get extremely busy.
I hope you enjoyed my list of 10 things to do with kids in Prince Edward County. It certainly was a special place that we hope to return to in the near future. #takeyourkidseverywhere